[Geany] VTE as plugin ?

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Dec 25 12:38:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:20:00 +0100
Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I have been using Geany more and more, and is trying to write a new
> cmake plugin for this small and nice IDE. While doing this, I found
> my self wondering about the VTE function.
>
> Would it not be nice to refactor this terminal as a plugin, both
> because not all like to use or need this function and to make the
> plugin interface more mature, and the IDE small ?

Perhaps, but it really wouldn't save much memory vs. just disabling the
'Load virtual terminal support' general preference. libvte is loaded
dynamically. You can also disable it at compile-time.

The reason we haven't made it a plugin is that the vte is fairly
closely integrated into Geany, and that the plugin interface would need
extending (some more callbacks, and keybinding support). Not that those
things shouldn't be in the plugin interface, just that they haven't
been implemented yet.

Regards,
Nick