[Geany] default keybindings, revisited

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Aug 31 10:50:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:46:31 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 8/30/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I noticed in the Balsa email client they used Ctrl-Alt-F for one
> > shortcut - are there any problems with using Ctrl-Alt-[a-z0-9]? I
> > know that Ctrl-Alt-F[1-12] are taken for consoles. If there aren't
> > any important conflicts with window managers, perhaps we should use
> > Ctrl- Alt instead of Alt-Shift for some bindings - Alt-Shift seems
> > more difficult to hold down because they are diagonally separated.
> >

> It seems to me that GUI programs usually use the Shift key, with
> either Ctrl or Alt, whereas terminal-based programs only use the Shift
> key to reach various non-alphanumeric symbols.
>
> For example, Emacs most often uses pairs of keys to do complimentary
Did I ever mention Geany != Emacs? ;-).

> Using only Ctrl-foo and Ctrl-Alt-foo key combos is pretty
> self-consistent (note, Emacs also uses Alt-foo keys, which for Geany
> are only used for manipulating GUI elements). And it's pretty easy to
> remember too, since you never have to consider, "was that capital or
> lowercase?"
>
> Using Shift along with various Ctrl-foo and Alt-foo keys is also
> pretty self-consistent. Though, one problem I have is, every time I
> try to hit Shift-Ctrl-r, I keep getting Ctrl-R instead! ;)
Because it is the same. I don't understand the problem. How could
Ctrl-Shift-r and Ctrl-R be anything different?

> If you start having Ctrl-Alt-foo keys in Geany, you begin to get a lot
> of keys to remember ("Can't remember that key combo. Was it Ctrl-L?
> Shift-Ctrl-L? Shift-Alt-L? Ctrl-Alt-L? How about Shift-Ctrl-Alt-L?").
I don't see the difference. Does it matter whether you remember
Ctrl-Alt-key or Ctrl-Shift-key?
And as an Emacs user you should be used to remember a lot of strange
key combos ;-).  (SCNR)