[Geany] Re: Setting the language of Geany's interface

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Apr 29 10:02:03 UTC 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:55:16 +0200, Dieter Ehlers <D-Ehlers at gmx.de>
wrote:

Hi,

> > If you didn't use any prefix you should find them
> > at /usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES
> The subdirectory locale is not available in /usr/local/share. Could
> that be the problem?
Probably yes. How did you run the configure script and what was the
output. Were there any error messages at the end of the configure
script? There should be some output like the following at the end of
the script before it generates the Makefiles:
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking for libintl.h... (cached) yes
checking for ngettext in libc... yes
checking for dgettext in libc... yes
checking for bind_textdomain_codeset... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for dcgettext... yes
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for catalogs to be installed...  be ca cs de es fi fr hu it nl
pl pt_BR ru vi zh_CN zh_TW c

> > Can you please send the output geany gives, when you start it from
> > console?
> There is really no output to console from geany.
Frank didn't mention that you have to run geany with the argument -d to
get some output(see geany --help for more information).

> I didn't mention yet that a few items in the menus and in the
> toolbars are in German, like "Neu" or "Speichern"
> instead of "New" or "Save".
That's good. This means that your GTK installation itself runs with the
German locale. These buttons like Save and New are standard GTK buttons
therefore they get translated by GTK.