[Geany] File selector ?

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at xxxxx
Fri Apr 27 18:37:38 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Alexandre Moreira <alexandream at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just a workaround I find very useful in situations like this (I use it
> > in both Geany and GVim). I usually keep a Thunar window opened,
> > vertically maximized and narrow it a lot, presenting files as a list.
> > That way I can put it left or right and launch my files (which will
> > always load in new tabs in Geany.... it works nice) :)
>
> Never heard of Thunar. Thanks for mentioning it Alexandre! Looks good.
>
> I'm running Debian with IceWM, and just installed Thunar. It says it's
> the file manager for Xfce, but it installed fine, and I can run it
> from IceWM. As a prereq, it installed xfce4-panel, but it doesn't seem
> to be running (which is fine by me).
>
> It's a very enticing idea to use Thunar with Geany. I gave it a try.
> First thing I did was right-click on a script to edit, and do: Open
> With --> Open with other application. I clicked the flippy-triangle
> for "use a custom command" and typed: geany %f
>
> To see what %f mean, you have to go to Edit --> Configure custom
> actions and hit the "plus" button.
>
> So, for that script, I double-clicked it, and it showed up in a new
> tab in Geany. Great. Trouble is, the next file -- with the same
> filename extension -- didn't. Instead, it tried to run. Seems like it
> wants to run .pl scripts in my ~/bin directory... but others it will
> just open with Geany by default (weird...).
>
> So, although using Thunar with Geany looks very promising, I have two
> questions. Does anyone happen to know:
>
> 1. Is there any way to tell Thunar to *never* execute files?
>
> 2. To configure Thunar to know what to do, it seems as if you have to
> go through each filetype (filename extension) and tell it to use Geany
> for each one? Or is there some way to do it wholesale? I guess that's
> not such a big deal though -- only have to do it once...

The thing with mime handling and Thunar is that it uses the .desktop
files and mime database. Probably what is happening is you have some
of the .pl with the executable bit set and others without. I work
mostly with C code so I can't really guarantee that

Knowing what to do is a matter of setting your mime database (it is
shared between KDE, Gnome and Xfce.. but I don't think it is
accessible through IceWM) to have the files opened with Geany for
launching.

Have a look at the shared mime standard so you can have an Idea where
you go to change this behavior. And if that doesn't work I guess you
will have to ask the guys on Thunar List, since I never had this
problem (none of my files is executable anyways) before.

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.