[Geany] tabulators

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Apr 27 17:24:37 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:38:45 +0200, Jelle de Jong
> <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
>
> > Just a comment, I would really like to be able to switch with a short
> > cut between tab 4 and tab 8 like is possible with mousepad.
>
> Ok, I'll go to add it. But I'm still not convinced that it will be a
> commonly used feature ;-).

Just curious: what is the Jelle talking about? The only place I see a
setting for tabs is in Edit --> Prefs --> Files tab, with "Tab Width"
and the "replace tabs by space" checkbox.

If it's just a matter of making the tab key work twice when you hit it
once, why not just hit the tab key twice when you want to indent more?

Not sure if this is related, but one feature that's useful for folks
who use all spaces all the time is a way to insert a real tab
character into a file (the only place I can think of where this is
useful is for editing a makefile). Can Geany do this? I don't see a
key command for it in Help --> Keyboard shortcuts, or  Prefs --> Key
Bindings, or in Appendix B of the docs. If Geany can't do it, I
recommend an "insert real tab" menu item in the Edit menu. This
feature probably wouldn't get a lot of use, so I'd suggest it doesn't
need to take up a key binding. Incidentally, not sure how well that
would work when you have the "replace tabs by spaces" pref enabled...

Note: some editors provide an "insert verbatim" or "insert quoted"
command where you can insert all sorts of things (I'm guessing
less-often-used ascii control characters?). Dunno how useful that is
for folks. I've only ever used it to get a tab in a makefile.

---John