[Geany] 'Persistent undo'...

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Apr 27 16:40:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:45:24 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 04/27/2007 11:19:36 AM, Harold Aling wrote:
> > Jean-Philippe wrote:
> >> Hello.
> >> Currently geany keeps the changes when you keep the file open after
> >> saving it. I think this is enough.
> >>
> >> If you really need these kind of feature why don't you try a
> >> version control system like svn ?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Jean-Philippe.
> >>
> > SVN is very useful in projects, but a bit clumsy with
> > configuration files, etc.
> >
> > Another real-life 'persistant history' example:
> > When restoring a session in Firefox, all the tabs are restored,
> > including their history. Closing a tab in Firefox and undoing that
> > action not only reopens the closed tab, but also restores it's
> > navigation history...
> >
> > It seems that there is a reasonable demand for such a feature in
> > other programs. Hopefully I'm not alone in wishing for such an
> > extension for Geany: "true session save/restore possibility"...
> >
> I think it's an interesting idea, but I don't think it belongs in
> the core of Geany. Saving the history to a session file might require
Yes, if this will come it should be a plugin. I really don't want to
add such a feature to Geany itself.
I think the comparison with Ardour which edits audio tracks doesn't
really fit. Because it is a difference whether you edit audio files
(some sort of binary files) or you edit plain text files. For plain
text files different version control systems exist and they are there
for just this reason.

And where is the problem with e.g. subversion and configuration files?
I have a complete /etc directory under version control with SVN on a
server and it justs works fine.