Detecting a running instance under Windows works (was: Re: [Geany] Removed old FIFO code)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Sep 11 15:19:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:18:57 +0200, Enrico Tröger
<enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:09:45 -0300, "Alexandre Moreira"
> <alexandream at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2006/8/30, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

> > > Please read the code completely:
> >
> > Sorry, I can't really access it here from work... they loaded a lot
> > of firewall rules lately :(
> >
> > > socket_fd_connect_unix() is only used for Unix-like systems, for
> > > Windows socket_fd_connect_inet() will be used.
> >
> > We will have to take a good look at this approach on using inet
> > sockets on windows, since these XP's (and probably Vista) come with
> > a noisy firewall these days...some users would be scared to see
> > their IDE being flagged as trying to open an inbound connection...
> > would sound like a backdoor or something.
> Wow, does this firewall really block/filter such local ports?
> But firstly the code should compile and run under Windows. Let's see
> what happens then ;-).
Yestderday I got my laptop with a running Windows back and today I got
the socket running under Windows(wasn't much work).
It seems to work, even under Windows XP with enabled firewall. But I
didn't test it very well.

And Alexandre, if you succeed in learning about DDE, I'd give it a try
although the socket code seems to work.