[Geany] spaces, tabs and saving

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Oct 25 11:09:33 UTC 2006

On 24/10/06 12:09:15, Marcelo Coelho wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I've been using geany for some days and I'm loving it!!! It is just
> what I've been looking for ages! Great work!
:)

> But (there is always a but, isn't it?) there are two or three things
> that are irritating for me. I like to use spaces instead of tabs in my
> code. Kdevelop works rather OK with that. With i press tab it inserts
> always the exact amount of spaces  _instead_ of tabs. Geany tries to
> insert the spaces that are more or less the right amount.
Geany inserts a TAB, but if 'Replace tabs by space' is set in
Preferences then each tab is converted when the file is saved. You
could open a feature request to suggest different behaviour.

> But the thing that i hate most is that whenever i search or i save a
> file, the folded code and the position at the file are changed, and
> suddenly I'm lost in a few thousand lines file...
Can you be more specific?
When saving, the cursor position should not be changed - do you mean
just that the fold point is expanded if the cursor is on a fold point
line?

The cursor should stay at the right place - could you send us your
~/.geany/geany.conf, maybe the position is changed with a particular
setting you have enabled.

Recently in SVN the cursor position is now preserved when no match is
found when using the search bar or Find dialog.

> I don't know if this is the right place but i wanted to request to
> position the search results at the middle of the screen and that the
> page position and the folded code stay as it was prior to saving.
We will implement scrolling the match to about 1/3 of the view.

Regards,
Nick