[Geany] thanks and question (multi-encodings)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Oct 23 16:39:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:09:57 +0400, Fedor Fedorovich Lejepekov
<FFL-Public at Yandex.Ru> wrote:

> Примерно в Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:21:49 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> написал(а):
>
> > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:02:29 +0400, Fedor Fedorovich Lejepekov
> > <FFL-Public at Yandex.Ru> wrote:
> >
> > > one more ps :), sorry for mistake in first letter - letter 'a' is
> > > little buggy on my keyboard.
> > >
> > > I try different variants and found that geany opens document in
> > > system (locale) default encoding. I use ru_RU.KOI8-R, and koi8-r
> > > encoded text shows OK, but any other not avaliabe to use, as i
> > > discribed before.
> > Can you send me some files to test?
> > It's the best to make a tarball of these file to ensure, their
> > contents won't be mangled by any email programs. Thanks.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Enrico
> >
> > --
> > Get my GPG key from http://www.uvena.de/pub.key
>

> Ok, i've send archive.
>
> + I found menu item File->Reload as, it's have that functionality,
> which i need now. :)
For all who are interested in the problem, the sent files can be found
on http://www.uvena.de/tmp/geany_koir_test_files.tar.bz2.

I did some testing with Anjuta 2.0, Gedit and Kate.
Anjuta and Gedit can't detect correctly the encoding of test.koi8 and
test.cp1251 but at least Gedit can display it correctly when the
encoding is specified explicitly. And this can also be done with Geany
either by using "Reload As" or by specifying the encoding the file open
dialog(added in r919). Kate has a special problem: it offers also a
drop down box in the file open dialog to choose an encoding but it
seems that it doesn't work. Maybe a bug, I don't know.

So, I hope to choose an encoding in the file open dialog for files
which are known to be not detect correctly is enough. At least, I don't
know a better way.