[Geany] thanks and question (multi-encodings)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Oct 22 12:49:13 UTC 2006

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:39:51 +0400, Fedor Fedorovich Lejepekov
<FFL-Public at Yandex.Ru> wrote:

Hi,

> I often work with many encoding (koi8-r, windows-1251, and utf-8) and
> was very happy when i saw encoding selection entry in program menu
> (document->set encoding). But when I select any of encodings text
> nothing changes - just tab title become red (if document just open)
> and status bar displays current selected codepage. - Text/code output
> is the same.
This is not a bug but a feature ;-).
The text in the editor window is always UTF-8 and there is no way to
change this. When you change an encoding, the change takes only effect
when saving the file. It should be saved in the right encoding to the
disk. If you load the file later again, Geany detects the encoding and
converts it back to UTF-8 to display it in the editor window.

There are still some problems with detecting the right encoding because
if you save a file as KOI8-R and there are no special characters in it
but for example only ASCII characters, Geany detects the file as UTF-8.
Perhaps this will be fixed sometime, but at the moment I don't know how
because there is no information in the file itself about the encoding.
The encoding can only be detected by analysing the way how the bytes
are stored but if there are only ASCII characters, there is no
difference between a file in KIO8-R and UTF-8 encoding.

Any ideas are welcome.