[Geany] Browser, search and autocompletion

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Oct 22 00:28:21 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:45:12 +0200, nebojsa <nebojsa at anja.ig3.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a new user of Geany, after trying several different editors I
> settled for this one, lightweight and fast.
> Using version 0.9, it looks good and stable.
Thanks. And sorry for the late answer.

> There are few things I would like to suggest:
> - on linux host, calling web browser is hard coded. From util.c Geany
> tries several options in order. It will be very nice to make this
> configurable, using either conf file or environment variable.
The hardcoded browser variants are only for fallback. You can change
the used browser in the preferences dialog on the tab Tools.

> - it is not possible to add new file types. One can redefine already
> existent ones, but not add new
Yes. What do you need? Perhaps we will make the filetype system
modular, sometime.

> - it will be very nice if search dialog would pick up word at which
> cursor is on, if no selection is active
Good idea, will be done.

> - option to mark all occurrences of a word in a file
Will come sometime.

> - autocompletion which is file/type agnostic. Now it offers only
> functions as a completion candidates. It will be nice to have option
> to autocomplete with candidates before or after cursor
Maybe, but not in near future. Implementing this is a lot of work and
it needs runtime. Sorry.

> - ability to describe compiler output using regexps, to be able to use
> non-gnu compilers (namely sdcc, Keil or some other strange animal) and
> integrate it's results in Geany
Hmm, I just tested sdcc and it works(because the output is very
similar to gcc's one). Regexps can be done, sometime. Patches are
welcome ;-).