[Geany] Adding new languages

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Oct 22 00:14:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 18:45:36 -0300, "Ricardo Biloti" <biloti at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Gengetopt (http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt/) is a parser
> generator for C programs. Its input file has a very simple syntax.
> I've been trying to add support for it to geany.
>
> Is there a guide explaining the steps that should be accomplished to
> add a new language? (I couldn't found any.)
Unfortunately no. Adding a new filetype is a bit complicated because
several changes have to be made.
The first thing is to find(or even write) a Scintilla lexer which
supports the format of the file(testing different lexers can help, or
comparing the format with existing supported formats).

If a compatible is available, it has to be added(edit
scintilla/Keywords.cxx, scintilla/Makefile.am,
scintilla/makefile.win32).
Then all available information have to be added to src/filetypes.c and
a new styling function is needed in src/highlighting.c as well as a
filetype definition file in data/.

These are the basic steps(maybe I forgot something).

Please send two or three example files to get an idea what we are
talking about.