[Geany] more info on syntax highlighting

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Jul 28 18:34:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've got some files in an older defunct scripting language that I'd
like to edit, but I want to at least have some basic syntax
highlighting for it.

I just had a look at the "Filetype definition files" section of the
manual (http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch03s09.html).

Also, I also see that there only *seems* to be only 16 scintilla
filetypes available:

.../src/geany/scintilla$ ls -1 Lex*.cxx
LexAsm.cxx
LexBash.cxx
LexCaml.cxx
LexConf.cxx
LexCPP.cxx
LexCrontab.cxx
LexCSS.cxx
LexHTML.cxx
LexOMS.cxx
LexOthers.cxx
LexPascal.cxx
LexPerl.cxx
LexPython.cxx
LexRuby.cxx
LexSQL.cxx
LexTCL.cxx

(well, maybe a couple more since LexOthers.cxx contains a few),
however in geany: "Document --> Set filetype" I see a number of
languages listed there that don't seem to be represented by Lex*.cxx
files, such as "D" (and maybe "O-Matrix" (?)). Furthermore, I don't
see Crontab listed in the menu items, even though there's a
LexCrontab.cxx file for it. (Hm . . . incidentally, LexOMS.cxx &
LexBash.cxx look almost identical.)

What is the correspondence between those Lex*.cxx files and the geany
menu items in "Document --> Set filetype"?

Can I easily create a new syntax highlighting patterns such that a new
menu item will show up in "Document --> set filetype"? I already tried
copying (from $prefix/share/geany to ~/.geany/filedefs), renaming, and
modifying an existing one, but it doesn't work, and my guess is that I
first need a scintilla Lex*.cxx file . . . .

Thanks,
---John