[Geany] Reply-To Mailinglist (was: Re: The way we handle the FIFO.)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jul 25 07:38:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:13:37 +0200, Andreas Tscharner
<andy at vis.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Enrico Tröger wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > the author instead of the list. But setting the Reply-To-header is
> > not the solution and is strongly discouraged. I'm not exactly sure
> > at the
>
> Who discourages that?
From the mailman online help:
"There are many reasons not to introduce or override the Reply-To:
header. One is that some posters depend on their own Reply-To: settings
to convey their valid return address. Another is that modifying
`Reply-To' Munging Considered Harmful[1] for a general discussion of
this issue. See Reply-To Munging Considered Useful[2] for a dissenting
opinion."

> > moment, but I believe i read something about a RFC violation or
> > something similar.
>
> AFAIK, it is an option (in mailman) and a matter of taste whether or
> not the mailinglist program sets the reply-to - header to the list...
Maybe. But with the Reply-To-header set to the list address replying a
mail to the poster won't work anymore in some MUAs.
The other side is a MUA should be able to reply to a mail using the
From header.

@Alexandre: you are using the webmail client from gmail?
Perhaps asking the Google guys for a reply-to-list feature would be
useful. It's a try.

Should I really activate the Reply-To header munging?

[1] http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
[2] http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml