[Geany] Geany win32 problem.

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jul 24 18:34:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:38:38 -0300, "Alexandre Moreira"
<alexandream at gmail.com> wrote:

> What you guys say ? we have some options (as far as I can see):
>
> Wait until someone can implement it in DDE "The Right Way";
> I try to implement it in Named pipes, but the support will only exist
> for windows NT, 2K, XP, Vista;
> We have a drink and forget about this one-instance support on windows
> (lol).
The latter one sounds nice, but won't help Geany ;-).

I don't know how to proceed, I only know I have no idea about DDE and
the more I look into the Windows API the more I want to run away.
Furthermore, I think it is not very clever to spend time on developing
the feature for Windows with their weird(read: other than we know it)
named pipe support and then it works only with the newer versions of
Windows. I don't know how many people are using Geany under Windows and
I don't know how many of them have a Windows older than Windows 2000.

The Windows version of Geany exists since 1.0(more or less) but this
was never my primary target and I don't want to spend so much time for
the Windows code. So, if anyone want to write the code, whether it is
Nick, Alexandre or whoever, I will appreciate it. But I'm sure, I don't
stress myself with DDE or something like this. Sorry.

Anyway, today, I set up a cross compiler environment with mingw32
(there is a nice tutorial at
http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/%7Ecottrell/cross-gtk/#config-build).
It's not yet completely working, but when it does, developing Windows
code is more easy for me(have only a running Windows on my laptop and
it is quite slow with Windows).