[Geany] Re: The way we handle the FIFO.

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jul 24 18:23:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:44:48 +0200, Nexu <nexu.jin at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Wow, so much thoughts, thank you guys for thinking about improving
Geany.

> Now consider the main user target group (at-least that is what i
> assume, correct me if i am wrong on this) are mostly programmers or
> at least more experienced computer users. I think the cons of the
> dialog is not necessary 'confusing' and better than a delay where
I agree, that the target group are more experienced users(but not all)
and so the dialog is not that bad. I don't like the idea of the ping
very much, then we get mailings like "Geany hangs on startup".
By the way, the fact that an IDE is mostly used by programmers is so
nice for us, I noticed it from the beginning, nearly every bug report
was more detailed and descriptive than I ever expected it.
This is so cool ;-).

> As a suggestion, perhaps you could merge these 2 ideas. Instead of a
> dialog which needs input. Change it into a dialog with a message Geany
> is trying to connect to the existing FIFO with a "cancel" button which
> deletes the current FIFO and starts up, or wait where after X seconds
> (display count down perhaps to inform the user how long left) of time
This idea i like very much and I think this is the way it will be.

Again by the way: Alexandre, can you tell us something about your
mentioned game server project? I'm curious about it.