[Geany] Geany win32 problem.

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at xxxxx
Mon Jul 24 17:38:38 UTC 2006

Redirecting my previous message for the list, since I messed it up the first
time, and adding some information in the end.

2006/7/24, Alexandre Moreira <alexandream at gmail.com>:

> 2006/7/21, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:13:17 -0300, "Alexandre Moreira"
> > <alexandream at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I think it won't be hard to make the fifo stuff we use in *nix work
> > > in the win32 build also, although this is not the "Right Way" of
> > > doing this in windows (DDE is too windows-complicated for my unix
> > > head).
> > >
> > > For that, I must know what the GEANY_FIFO_NAME constant resolves to in
> >
> > > Windows building (trying to hack something with no good development
> > GEANY_FIFO_NAME is just an macro for "geany_fifo.0"
> > And this file exists in the configuration directory of Geany, for
> > example ~/.geany/geany_fifo.0 or whatever was specified with the -c
> > command line switch.

Here is the important part.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that windows use a completely different scheme for
> pipes so, we won't have the geany_fifo.0 file anywhere in the filesystem,
> (it has a pseudo-filesystem made for pipes ... something like
> //./pipe/MYPIPENAME or other more weird name, I can't remember now). That
> way we will need to have the pipe creation code isolated by platform (posix
> // win32).

End of important part.

Regards,
> Alexandre Moreira.
>
> More interesting could be the variable app->fifo_ioc, which points to
> the open IOChannel to this file. But who knows who are IOChannels used
> under Windows ;-).
>

> Regards,
> Enrico
>
> --
> Get my GPG key from http://www.uvena.de/pub.key

While researching the named pipe mechanism in Windows I found out that
Windows 95/98/ME cannot create named pipes (which would make them unable to
use Named pipes the way Geany would do it *sigh*).

Still, The DDE stuff would be usable in basically every version of Windows,
but I have no knowledge about it (except for the basics on "how it works"
... I cannot program anything with it)... and honestly, is too messy and
windows-centric that I just don't plan to learn it.

What you guys say ? we have some options (as far as I can see):

Wait until someone can implement it in DDE "The Right Way";
I try to implement it in Named pipes, but the support will only exist for
windows NT, 2K, XP, Vista;
We have a drink and forget about this one-instance support on windows (lol).

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.