[Geany] Re: Geany translation update

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jul 23 12:26:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:29:13 -0300, "Alexandre Moreira"
<alexandream at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Ummmmm... I managed to change my work from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 fairly
> quickly, as I thought it would be after sending you this mail. Then I
> found out that most of our translations are UTF-8, still I don't know
And for non-Windows systems this should be fine because GTK itself does
everything in Unicode.

> My pt_BR windows version is showing the UTF-8 messages in ISO-8859-1
> and as it is, it makes the strings look very weird. I don't know if
> this is some kind of gtk stuff that needs to be changed for windows,
> but I think it is worth researching. Will windows only accept ISO po
> files or are we able to make it interpret the UTF-8 stuff correctly ?
I don't know, but I played a bit with the German translation under
Windows 2000. I used the gmo file compiled under Linux in Windows, I
compiled the de.po into a gmo file under Windows and I converted the
de.po from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-15 on Windows and then compiled it into
the gmo file. In all three cases I got the same result which confuses
me a bit:
Most of the strings with German Umlauts(äöü) and other non-Ascii
characters are displayed correctly. E.g. in the file menu, all is
working fine and also in the count words dialog.
But e.g. the reload file dialog displays German Umlauts very weird.

I just got the idea why the reload dialog displays it wrong:
this dialog and some other small message dialogs and the file open/save
dialog, the font dialog and the colour chooser dialog are from Windows
and not from GTK. So the point mixing the GTK and Windows API is
probably not the best thing.

I'll do some further investigation on this and post if I know more.