[Geany] Source folding

Nexu nexu.jin at xxxxx
Thu Jul 20 21:26:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 15:53 -0300, Alexandre Moreira wrote:

> 2006/7/20, Alexandre Moreira <alexandream at gmail.com>:
>         Oh, I forgot a few things too:
>
>         2006/7/20, Alexandre Moreira <alexandream at gmail.com>:
>

>                 2006/7/20, Nexu <nexu.jin at gmail.com>:
>                         On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 19:45 +0200, Enrico
>                         Tröger wrote:
>                         > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:51:11 -0300,
>                         "Alexandre Moreira"
>                         > <alexandream at gmail.com> wrote:
>                         >
>                         > it is so cool, that you all want to extend
>                         Geany, but please give us a
>                         > little bit time to make it ready for this.
>                         >
>                         > > scripts in, say, Python or TCL (or even C
>                         plugins).
>                         > I prefer Python(because so many people like
>                         it, there must be
>                         > something magic with it) _and_ C plugins.
>                         >
>                         > But as mentioned earlier, this whole stuff
>                         is not really important at
>                         > the moment, at least not for me and Nick.
>                         > I want to finish the 0.8 release soon(but
>                         without hurrying), then
>                         > reduce the length of the todo list and
>                         finally implement project
>                         > management. Then getting it stable, so that
>                         1.0 can be released.
>                         >
>                         > After that, or while getting 1.0 stable, we
>                         should think about a
>                         > reasonable plugin concept.
>                         >
>                         > I really like the idea of plugins, but at
>                         the moment it is too early
>                         > for it.
>
>                         Thanks for the answers and responses. I'm
>                         looking forward to test the
>                         project management functionality.
>
>                         Personally i think you guys should consider
>                         including the mentioned
>                         plug-in system with 1.0 release (after
>                         everything else on the TODO list
>                         is done) so it is a basic part of Geany.
>
>                 I would vote against this. Geany already has a release
>                 plan, and I think we should stick to it. First of all,
>                 it was not the interest of the main devs to make it a
>                 complex system, at least not on 1.0. Second, it would
>                 be needed a *LOT* of hooks in the system for it to be
>                 acessible for plugins, and it is not the kind of
>                 re-engeneering I think we need while on 0.8, at least
>                 not when focusing to 1.0.
>

>                         Also consider D-Bus as a
>                         plug-ins interface as this allows more
>                         languages to be used to write
>                         plug-ins with (any language that D-Bus got
>                         bindings for).
>
>                 I never considered this as an option and then, when
>                 you mentioned it a whole lot of possibilities exploded
>                 in my mind. Thanks very much, Nexu, for you made me
>                 address a lot of stuff I had in mind for my own
>                 personal project (A game server).
>
>         I ended up thanking Nexu for something but forgot to discuss
>         the meaning of this idea in Geany context. Don't think D-Bus
>         would be a good way for Geany to implement it, at least not as
>         long as it strives to be multi-platform. For all I know D-Bus
> [...]

Just some additional info about D-Bus status for Alexandre:
D-Bus 0.90 was just released this week. With that, they have also
announced API freeze. They're working hard on win32 port from what i can
tell on their ML. Someone has also announced on their ML about XPCOM
bindings for D-Bus and than there are is work in progress on the PHP
bindings.. From IRC, i notice lots of development on the Java bindings.
(It's btw "D-Bus" according to the developers and not "DBus")

But for now i can live without a plug-in system. It's not a vital
requirement.

PS, what is that game server project you mentioned Alexandre?