[Geany] Source folding

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at xxxxx
Thu Jul 20 16:51:11 UTC 2006

Well. Sorry, I just hit the "send" button by accident, before putting the
text in its right place or finishing the message.

2006/7/20, Alexandre Moreira <alexandream at gmail.com>:

> This is the kind of thing that I see being useful in C/C++ header files,
> because of the
>
> #ifndef MYCONSTANT_H
> #define MYCONSTANT_H
> #endif
>
> fold that gets on the first level.
>
> Just though I should highlight it to clear a situation where this feature
> is indeed really useful.
>

> 2006/7/20, Nexu <nexu.jin at gmail.com>:
>
> > Is there a way to fold the source code view to certain depth level?
> >
> > "Fold All" option now fold everything to first level:
> >
> > [-] First()
> > [-]     second()
> > [-]             third;
> > [-]                     forth
> >
> > becomes:
> >
> > [+] First()
> >
> > If possible, folding to to certain depth level would be useful.
> > e.g: fold to level 2
> >
> > [-] First()
> > [+]     second()
> >
> > Or 3rd..
> >
> > But i can imagen adding this to the GUI would cause clutter. So perhaps
> > user configurable key accelerator for this would be realistic.

Everyone in this list might know right now that I am a heavy advocate for
having plugin system planned once 1.0 is finally out.

With that said, I'd like to add that this would be really easy to get done,
if we add the right hooks in Geany and let it be controlled by scripts in,
say, Python or TCL (or even C plugins).

We would only have to create a system where a plugin could navigate through
all folding markers at the current file, and then a user script/plugin could
do the feature. That way the GUI for that wouldn't really be a Geany core
problem, and plugins could configure their own gui the way they wanted, be
it a weird button on the toolbar or a keybinding for the user.

Cheers,
Alexandre Moreira.