[Geany] first experiences with geany, and some questions

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Jul 20 15:25:50 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Alexandre Moreira <alexandream at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/7/19, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:33:39 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > By the way, although I'm not familiar with GTK programming, I think
> > > I'd read that some GTK-based editors (such as Anjuta and GEdit) use
> > > GtkSourceview (http://gtksourceview.sourceforge.net/).
> > > Does geany use Scintilla in place of that? If so, just curious, why?
> >
> > As Luzi already mentioned, we already had this discussion on  Thu, 13
> > Jul 2006 18:26:48.
> > The main reason for Scintilla was: it had more features than
> > GtkSourceView when i started writing Geany.
>
>  And, since I kinda like started that discussion that time, I would like to
> add that my sources were wrong. I've been trying and checking GtkSourceView
> the last week and it still lacks A LOT of features that Geany use. Scintilla
> is by far the best open option for us, I guess.
>
> GtkSourceView support for some stuff we already use will probably be done
> after google summer of code only.

Thanks for the follow-up Alexandre. I hadn't realized that there was a
SOC project dedicated to working on GtkSourceView
(http://code.google.com/soc/gnome/about.html). It'll be interesting to
see how it looks when the summer is over. :)

---John