[Geany] first experiences with geany, and some questions

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at xxxxx
Wed Jul 19 15:27:36 UTC 2006

2006/7/19, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:33:39 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > 1. One problem I noticed right off the bat: auto-completion. I opened
> > a new file (some Ruby), and typed:
> >
> > def foo
> >     puts "hi"
> > end[<-- cursor here]
> >
> > then when I hit <Enter> to end the line, geany quickly tacks on
> > "DocumentSAXFunc" leaving me with:
> This is fixed in the current SVN version.
>
> > 2. How can I write my own syntax highlighting colorscheme? I'd like to
> > maybe make something like this:
> > http://radarzombies.org/slinky/zenburn-snapshot.png
> > (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=415).
> Please read http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch03s09.html
> and if you need more information, just ask here.
> If you finished your sheme and you think it is nice, it would be cool
> if you send it to the list, so other people can use it too.
>
> > 3. How can I learn about more text editing keybindings such as
> > up-/down-by-paragraph, indent-/dedent-current selection, go to
> > definition, hop between matching brackets/braces/parenthese, etc.?
> Please read
> http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch03s08.html
> and http://geany.uvena.de/manual/apa.html.
>
> > 4. How do I shut off current-line-highlight?
> At the moment it can't be completely disabled. You can just set the
> background of the current line to 0xffffff, so it has the same
> background with most styles. How to this, is described in
> http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch03s09.html.
> There will be a feature to completely disable it.
>
> > 5. "Find next" isn't Ctrl-G. :) Ctrl-g seems to duplicate the current
> > line. Just a personal preference (and I think lots of folks may be
> > used to it too). The 'f' keys on my keyboard are tiny little things
> > that I never touch and try to avoid. :)
> Where is the problem? You can reassign the shortcuts in the preferences
> dialog.
>
> > And also, a few other questions:
> >
> > Regarding regexes, what library does geany use for those? pcre, or are
> > you rolling your own?
> Regexps are passed to Scintilla.
> The regexps are described here http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch03s04.html
> and since yesterday(so only in the SVN version) POSIX-like regexps are
> also possible.
>
> > By the way, although I'm not familiar with GTK programming, I think
> > I'd read that some GTK-based editors (such as Anjuta and GEdit) use
> > GtkSourceview (http://gtksourceview.sourceforge.net/). Does geany use
> > Scintilla in place of that? If so, just curious, why?
> As Luzi already mentioned, we already had this discussion on  Thu, 13
> Jul 2006 18:26:48.
> The main reason for Scintilla was: it had more features than
> GtkSourceView when i started writing Geany.

 And, since I kinda like started that discussion that time, I would like to
add that my sources were wrong. I've been trying and checking GtkSourceView
the last week and it still lacks A LOT of features that Geany use. Scintilla
is by far the best open option for us, I guess.

GtkSourceView support for some stuff we already use will probably be done
after google summer of code only.

> Finally, stuff I really like so far:
> >
> > * All the helpful pop-up help text (in the yellow boxes). Very nice --
> > please keep it up. :)
> > * Edit --> Insert Comments --> GPL notice. Nice touch. :) (though why
> > the extra indent there?)
> Do you mean between # and the text?
> You can edit these templates, please read
> http://geany.uvena.de/manual/ch03s10.html
>
> > * geany is quite fast.
> > * Color chooser seems handy to have around.
> > * built-in help feature found firefox right off the bat.
> > * <Control>-click-drag rectangual selection! :)
> > * Web page looks great.
>
> Thanks for all.
>
> Regards,
> Enrico