[Geany] geany tags and ctags

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Jul 14 09:09:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:26:48 -0300, "Alexandre Moreira"
<alexandream at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just curious, what does Scintilla provides to Geany that
> GtkSourceView could not provide ? (Apart from the good
> documentation ,that is...)
>
> If the only dependancy on C++ stuff is Scintilla... wouldn't it be
> possible to ditch Scintilla for GtkSourceView ?
Why shall we absolutely switch to GtkSourceView?
According to Yura, I think the C++ is not a problem, today.

As I started writing Geany, I had a version of Geany with GtkSourceView
and one with Scintilla. And Scintilla won because of its features. One
year ago, GtkSourceView wasn't so good as it is now(I guess that it
is now, if you are telling us it has the same features as Scintilla
except folding).

But anyway, if GtkSourceView doesn't has any killer features without
nobody can live anymore, I don't want to switch to it.
The main reason is the work to do this. So many things have to be
rewritten and modified because Scintilla is well integrated into Geany
(obviously the editor component is quite important for an editor
application ;-)).

Geany, a lightweight IDE using GTK2 - http://geany.uvena.de