[Geany] geany tags and ctags

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Jul 13 10:44:56 UTC 2006

On 11/07/06 12:29:43, Evgeny wrote:
> Hi
> Are there any plans for ctags support?
> I have several ctags files (std c++, xfc, libxml etc.).
>
> It would be nice to have some managment for tag files:
>    - load several tag files at start
>    - bind several tag files to project (this would be great!)
We use TagManager. It was taken from Anjuta 1.2.2 but since then Enrico
has added a lot of improvements especially support for new languages.
TagManager was developed from ctags.

We plan to add tag files management to Geany and it would be possible
to bind tag files to a project, after we've implemented project
management. This may be in a few releases time.

> It would also be nice to use this tag files in autocompletion.
> And if it'd be implemented there should be function signature near
> function name.
For the tag file global.tags currently used (contains C standard
library, GLib and GTK+, and some GNOME tags, e.g. Bonobo) Geany does
code completion and call tips for function arguments. When tag file
management is added this will just work for whatever tag files are
loaded.

Enrico has just added support for showing the function return type and
function name as well as function arguments when call tips are shown.

> I think you can use this with several tag files.
> http://icomplete.sourceforge.net/
> Watch screenshots, it's really cool having whole function signatures
> instead only function names
I think TagManager supports many of the same features, except IComplete
has better support for OOP and OOP scope.

> PS:
>    If there is something to do in c++ in geany except scintilla,
> tell
> me., I think, I can help.
Our code is all C, but because we require C++ for Scintilla, it may be
possible to use some C++ code. I can't suggest anything specific to
write in C++, but we would be interested if you have any ideas.

> PSS:
>    What do you think about XFC library, isn't it powerful enough to
> move geany editor to C++?
This sounds like a lot of work, but moreover, this would add
dependencies to Geany or increase the binary size if statically linked.
Geany is distributed with Puppy Linux (http://www.puppyos.com), which
relies on Geany having no uncommon dependencies, and a fairly small
binary size.

Regards,
Nick