[Geany] Message window "quirk"

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jul 2 13:26:10 UTC 2006

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 14:11:11 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 02/07/06 13:36:17, Alexandre Moreira wrote:
> > I made a tiny modifictation to my Geany build, so that the tabs are
> > on bottom. But what really bothers me is not the space taken by the
> > Message window, since I probably will use them in the left too. The
> > problem is that if the user shrinks the window, the tabs go out of
> > reach. I think we could set the GTKVPaned (vpaned1) to only allow
> > shrinkage to a certain point, so the user could always see the tabs
> > (if he didnot want to see them he can always hide MsgWindow)
> >> Hi,
> >> I think we could add a preference to allow a different position.
> >> Personally I prefer the message window tabs on the left because it
> >> saves me vertical space (since I need about 6 lines visible
> >> anyway) as
> >> messages rarely take up the width of the message window.
>
> Perhaps we could do this, but I think many users would find it
> annoying that they couldn't choose how tall the message window is. I
> realise that there is a usability issue that the user can't click on
> a hidden notebook tab, but it is caused by the user lowering the
> pane, so it is the user's choice. Also it is not a serious usability
> issue because if the user has lowered the messages pane, then they
> must know what to do to raise it again.
I think the user should can decide how tall the message window is. If
he lowers it so that the tabs aren't visible anymore, he can raise it
again or just leave it and be happy with it.

> At the moment it seems more useful to allow any size pane, but
> perhaps we could limit the minimum height for the case where notebook
> tabs are grouped horizontally. Maybe horizontal tabs should be the
> default behaviour.
No, I agree to add an option to choose where the tabs are placed, but
the default behaviour should be as it is.

Geany, a lightweight IDE using GTK2 - http://geany.uvena.de