[Geany] New Release: Geany 0.8

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Aug 11 14:21:46 UTC 2006

On 8/11/06, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 10/08/06 17:40:27, John Gabriele wrote:
> > On 8/9/06, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >> Changes since Geany 0.7:
> >> [snip]
> >> * Added support for back references when using regex replace.
> >
> > Nice. :) But, I think I found a problem with it. Try putting this into
> > your file:
> >
> > LiquidCooled
> > WaterCooled
> >
> > Then try the following Search/Replace:
> > search text: [A-Z]([a-z]+)Cooled
> > replace text: XXX\1Cooled
> >
> > It works the first time through, but then if you make the search loop
> > around, the 2nd time it finds too much (all three of the X's instead
> > of just the first one), and the replacement gives you a strange number
> > of X's...
>
> I think you don't have case sensitive checked ;-) So [A-Z] is the same
> as [a-z]. It works if you use case sensitive regexes.

Gah! Ouch. Missed that. Thanks.

Incidentally, in a previous thread
(http://lists.uvena.de/pipermail/geany/2006-August/000358.html) I
requested that, when the user clicks that "Use regular
expressions"checkbox, that it might be a good idea to automatically
select the "Case sensitive" option too, since users will be expecting
that regexes start off case-sensitive by default. Nick, you mentioned
you didn't think it's necessary, but I think it's kinda' funny that I
was caught by it myself (embarrassingly, after previously bringing it
up!). I will now train myself to always check that option whenever I
select the regex option (since almost all of my regex searches are
case sensitive), but if you think that the majority of your users will
also have to train themselves like that, you might reconsider setting
the option automatically. Principle of least surprise and all. :)

Thanks again!
---John