[Geany-i18n] Translations support system

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Jun 5 14:37:40 UTC 2015

On 05/06/15 14:05, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 05/06/2015 02:12, Matthew Brush a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've also heard good things about Transifex when working on XFCE stuff.
>>
>> The only "bad" part I observed there is the commit logs get jammed with
>> generic, auto-generated commits/messages, hiding all the code changes. I
>> don't know if this would be the case for Geany as it probably has more
>> code-related changes and less translation changes than the project I
>> have experienced this with.
>
> BTW, I'd rather see such an automated system perform PRs than direct
> committing.  Basically I don't really trust automated systems to commit
> to a repository [1] :)
>
> Though, indeed having a system simplifying the translator's work is
> probably great.

Full ACK.
As Matthew mentioned, the Xfce project is using Transifex for years and
as far as I know, without bigger problems.
I'm pretty much sure such a system would help the Geany project as well
as it will be much easier for translators to contribute.

> [1] what if the thing has a security issue that leads for anyone to be
> able to commit anything?  or things like that?  I know we trust Git and
> GitHub here, but they seem more trustworthy security-wise than a
> translation webapp :)

Very good point.
A quick internet search didn't reveal much about Transifex being able to
create pull requests, though.
But Transifex seems to be able to work with branches. Maybe we could set
up a i18n branch to which Transifex pushes directly and Frank or whoever
else wants to, merges or cherry-picks from this branch to master on demand.
The reverse merge from master to the i18n branch can be automated, probably.
I have no idea if this could work reliably in production, so far it's
just an idea :).