[Geany-i18n] Some clarification

Jože Klepec joze.klepec at xxxxx
Mon Mar 4 16:39:28 UTC 2013

Hello,

As we all hate making rotten compromises, we have to try to the maximum
possible  extent.

Dne 04. 03. 2013 12:43, piše Lucas Vieites:
>   Hi Jože,
>   I too have trouble with these translations. I translated them
> "temporarily" so I could check if they right, according to the context.
>   1- Parts. I have thought a lot about this one and I haven't found
> any use of the word in English which would not be equally ambiguous in
> Spanish.
I looked also into my pocket Spanish-Slovenian dictionary, so I know a
bit what is bothering you. "Partes" could also mean "sides" like legal
contractors or also something like pages a book. Stressful.

This what I was primarily thinking of:
<http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Using_KParts>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPart#KParts>
Kparts (c) KDE is here a reusable compound of a program, similar to
Bonobo (c) Gnome project and ActiveX (c) MS.  If you thought of that
.
>   2- Assembly. I think I got this one right; I translated it as
> "Ensamblador" as in the "assembly language", not "Ensamblaje" as in
> "assembly of furniture"
Got it. I think you would translate it  like assembly (language), not
like putting together some hardware from the store. Well, i think I in
overall supplied the correct answer. Well, if you look at point 1, you
might get worried.
>   3- Steps, the same as "Parts", it's equally ambiguous.

Well, it could also be act,, move, level, stage, intent  like. In music:
interval and in programming also (debugging step by step, watching
vars).  But unlikely a ladder, doorstep or simple steps, I don't belive
this would'nt be. :)

If I backtranslate again, I decided for "Koraki"("Pasos" directly in
Spanish) as I think it's the most credible from en and es. So for me
there is no doubt. will this help? :)

BTW, "korak" means literally "step" in Slovenian, so I have really no
doubts. But, there may be "prehod" ("pass" preprocessor pass; compiler
pass; optimizer pass) meaning the same if there is incorrect wording.

In cases that you're totally unsure,  I try to pull some old words from
naphtalene or from very ancient dictionaries (I used two 100-200yrs
antique ones when I was starter and got around 5-10 new hits per year,
now I mostly crosscompile), polish them a bit to look fancy.ier and give
them a new look. Sometimes old word or wording is far better than new.

Every language is a living matter, remember, don't stick too hard to the
academic rules. There might be small fights, but you must stick to the
basic academic rules, to the rules of the community and then you can set
some of your own words or smaller rules inside those. The older the
language, the harder to do, but the academic rules also stick to the
living language.

Cheers,

Jože

P.S. I have lots of dictionaries (fr, ru, sr, it, particularly en & de;
this is a growing collection) and I know to write/read the basic
cyrillic, so there is plenty of fun.