[Geany-i18n] French localization for 'plugin' ?

Clytie Siddall clytie at xxxxx
Wed Jun 11 12:43:09 UTC 2008

Salut Jean-Phillippe :)

On 10/06/2008, at 7:54 AM, Jean-Philippe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following a post from Francois on the main geany list (http://lists.uvena.de/pipermail/geany/2008-April/003235.html
> , yeah it's a bit old :-) ) I am considering about changing the
> French translation for 'plugin'.
> Until now I simply used the 'plugin' anglicism without any
> localization, mainly because I was too lazy :-) and I found this
> simpler and more coherent with the English version.
>
> Right now I'm thinking about changing this term, and the more likely
> to replace 'plugin' is "greffon". here are some pros and cons for
> the replacement :
>
> + "greffon" is already used in many other projects, mainly GNOME and
> related GTK+ projects
> + this word already exists in the french language (usually related
> to biology and medicine -transplants-), with a very similar meaning
> + the term in itself in simple (one word)
>
> - there may be many (french) users already used to the 'plugin'
> term, so the change may introduce some incomprehensions
> - this is obviously a loss of easiness, in the translation itself as
> there is many strings to change, and for potential french dev, the
> difference between the translation and the internal naming may be
> confusing
> - What about third party plugins ? There may be a lack of
> unification with the 2 terms mixed together. Also, I'm not sure
> about this point but there may be some hard coded 'plugin' strings,
> and the documentation refers to 'plugin' as there is no french
> translation.
>
> I looked up some others translations and the german one doesn't show
> any localization for the term (maybe because there is none ?), but
> the spanish one uses "complemento" so there should not be any major
> issues with changing the term.
>
> If anyone cares feel free to drop a comment :-)
> Otherwise I may or may not do the change, depending on the date for
> the next release and the time I'll spend on it ;-)

In Vietnamese, we use « phần bổ sung », which means "supplemental
part". We don't have your problem of changing long-standing
vocabulary, because our translation effort is very new. But I have
found that avoiding the use of English terms is good for the language
in general, since it makes us develop appropriate translated terms,
and makes sure we understand them when we use them.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n