[Geany-Devel] Building geany using msys2 on Windows 10

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Sep 15 20:44:58 UTC 2021

On 14.09.21 15:36, Doug Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sept 2021 at 15:55, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Doug, I'm assuming you mean the Enrico in the little Authors table at
>>> the top of the help manual?
>>
>> I guess yes because my name is broken there.
>>
> Attached is an image of what I see:
>
> And here is the offending line from
> file:///C:/Program%20Files/Geany/share/doc/geany/html/index.html:for
> 1.38beta1 on win10.

> Lanitz  Colomban Wendling  Matthew Brush" />

[...]
> This tells me that at some point the UTF8 content was loaded as ISO-8859-?

Yes, because of my misconfigured Windows machine.

> So looking at https://nightly.geany.org/win32/build_win32_geany.log,
> the problem is clear: the build is using Python 2.7. Python2 will read

Not really.
First, the nightly builds are created in a very old setup (no MSYS2,
old, manually installed Win32 libraries). I won't update it anymore and
so it's stuck to its Python2.
I'm working on a replacement to cross-compile Geany with MSYS2 packages
from a GIT clone to fully working installer binary.

Then, the mentioned nightly builds are not used for anything, they are
just used as CI to ensure the code still compiles.
The installers I posted were created manually by me on a real Windows
machine.

> When I tried to recreate the problem on msys and cygwin for 1.31.1,
> 1.36, and 1.37.1 , I could not reproduce it because I have Python3
> installed as the only Python on both systems. I spent more time than I
> should have on this, and I think you may have found a solution
> yourself.

Yes, as I said before on the other mail in the thread, it's only a
problem with the setup of my Windows system. It's not a general issue in
Geany.
Thanks anyway for the detailed analysis!