[Geany-Devel] Building geany using msys2 on Windows 10

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Sep 15 20:36:57 UTC 2021

On 14.09.21 00:34, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> It's Python and not generally on Windows but on my box.
>> On my Windows box, Python detects de-DE with cp1252 charset as locale
>> and rst2html (which is written in Python) then seems to read the UTF-8
>> encoded geany.txt with cp1252 and this fails, obviously.
>>
>> I didn't find a way yet to change the locale used by Python, the usual
>> LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_ALL and friends environment variables do not work.
>> It seems Python uses some Windows API to get the locale.
>> But it's mainly a local issue on my end, so no worries. I'll take care
>> to pass "--input-encoding=utf-8" to rst2html when building the docs for
>> the next release and after the release, I'm going to blow up my Windows
>> box anyways.
>
> Locales are an evil and dangerous thing from the past!!!  Why should
> non-interactive programs run differently on different machines? [stop
> before I start ranting]
>
> Ok, so its the Geany build makefile that needs to have the
> specification of input encoding added so it works everywhere and no
> risk of non-UTF-8 locales breaking it.

Not sure if it is necessary.
The concrete problem with the wrongly encoded characters is rather a
configuration problem on my system, I'd say.
Anyway, generally enforcing UTF-8 on rst2html for geany.txt should be
fine as we have full control over the file and it probably will stay
UTF-8 encoded for the next 20 years.