[Geany-Devel] Building geany using msys2 on Windows 10

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Sep 13 21:55:45 UTC 2021

On 13.09.21 01:03, Lex Trotman wrote:

>>> Not sure why this uses a different method to the other help, although
>>
>> It's the same method and that's part of the problem.
>
> Oh, I hadn't though a Windowsist would have set Friedfox as the
> default browser, does that mean on windows the
> Preferences->Tools->Browser setting is ignored totally?

Yes.

>>> The 4 th line of the help file should be:

>>> so it should open as UTF-8, maybe something went wrong in the building?
>>
>> Yes, the charset header is fine the broken characters are already
>> wrongly written into the generated HTML. I will have a look at it.
>>

> I don't generate HTML docs so I can't check here, but the HTML in the
> 1.37.1 tarball and the nightly .deb seems to have Enrico correct (or
> at least it shows correctly on both Chrome and Firefox), maybe
> docutils or the browser does something silly if it runs on windows?

It's Python and not generally on Windows but on my box.
On my Windows box, Python detects de-DE with cp1252 charset as locale
and rst2html (which is written in Python) then seems to read the UTF-8
encoded geany.txt with cp1252 and this fails, obviously.

I didn't find a way yet to change the locale used by Python, the usual
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_ALL and friends environment variables do not work.
It seems Python uses some Windows API to get the locale.
But it's mainly a local issue on my end, so no worries. I'll take care
to pass "--input-encoding=utf-8" to rst2html when building the docs for
the next release and after the release, I'm going to blow up my Windows
box anyways.

> Doug, I'm assuming you mean the Enrico in the little Authors table at
> the top of the help manual?

I guess yes because my name is broken there.

Get my GPG key from https://www.uvena.de/pub.asc