[Geany-Devel] Building geany using msys2 on Windows 10

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Sep 12 17:12:24 UTC 2021

On 12.09.21 18:51, Doug Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sept 2021 at 06:13, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>>
>> I think this is rather the GTK3 default theme.
>> Attached are three screenshots of Geany with:
>> - the default theme (I assume it's Adwaita)
>> - the native "win32" theme
>> - a theme from https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1013580/ called "Windows10",
>> it's more compact than the default theme
>>

> From your screen shots, it is clear that you have the win32 and
> Windows10 themes installed.
>
> The win32 theme works, but does not look as nice as the Windows10 theme.
>
> How do you install a GTK3 theme on Windows? The linked page only
> describes the install for *nix.
>
> Google yields a confusing number of results that are full of
> alternatives for the developer, but without much guidance for the post
> installation user.

I know :(.

Here we go:
Create or edit the file
`C:\Users\<username>AppData\Local\gtk-3.0\settings.ini` with the
following content:
```ini
[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Windows10
```

And your theme files should be located in
`C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\themes\Windows10`.

Interestingly, even the GTK docs[1] suggest to *not* use Adwaita but
rather https://github.com/B00merang-Project/Windows-10.

And yes, I'll put the steps above into the wiki.

[1]
https://www.gtk.org/docs/installations/windows/#building-and-distributing-your-application