[Geany-Devel] Parsing of Bibtex: Show entries in sidebar

Mirco Schönfeld twlyy29 at xxxxx
Tue Jul 9 15:03:05 UTC 2019

Greetings,

I would like to introduce myself by proposing a new feature for Geany.

When dealing with large bibliography files with lots of Bibtex items I was
missing an overview of the entries in the sidebar of the editor. Recently,
I got so annoyed of scrolling around in my files that I decided to do
something.

The result I'd like to propose is a ctags parser which is a modified
version of the tex-parser already present. So far, the new bibtex parser
parses the entry types listed here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BibTeX#Entry_types It extracts and aggregates
their identifiers.
I modified some of the other source files so that the identifiers are now
listed in the sidebar of the editor.

If you would like to have a look, please see the branch in my git-fork:
https://github.com/TwlyY29/geany/tree/bibtex-parser
I will be happy to create a pull request there if you are interested.

Best
Mirco