[Geany-Devel] Windows: Webkit-related plugins are going to be removed

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Nov 26 05:40:26 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-25 9:22 a.m., Enrico Tröger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid we need to remove the Webkit-related plugins (Webhelper,
> Markdown Preview) from the Windows installer.
>

> This is because Webkit itself is going to be removed from MSYS2:
> https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/issues/4318
>
> For the upcoming release we could ship the previous version of Webkit
> along with the locally cached old version of ICU (i.e. we will ship ICU
> 61 *and* 62 in the installer).
>
> But I personally would prefer removing the plugins from the Windows
> installer immediately for the reasons mentioned in
> https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/issues/4318#issuecomment-436443226
> and to prevent us from shipping two ICU versions which bloats the
> Windows installer even more.
>

> If there are no objections, I will remove all Webkit-related settings
> from the Windows installer next week.

Hi,

It would be nice to keep these plugins as long as practical, but I don't
feel strongly about it.

Once removed, we should make an Issue on Github for all affected users
to make duplicates of :) I think we got at least a dozen or so bug
reports when the webkit-using plugins were removed from one of the Linux
distros.