[Geany-Devel] Scintilla Use

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Mar 22 03:01:21 UTC 2018

On 22 March 2018 at 10:35, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Going forward, are we going to use the Scintilla LongTerm3 branch or v4.x
> releases?

Interesting question.  I had been assuming that once Neil settled it
down and after the next round of LTS Linuxen were released with C++17
(at least in the repos if not by default) we would go with Scintilla
4, but so far I havn't seen any changes there that excite me greatly.

> If LongTerm3, is there any opposition to integrating the new LPeg lexer so
> we can use/write lexers in Lua/PEG? I might be interested in working on this
> if it's not going to be controversial.

The downside to this is that we are then stuck on 3 until Mitchell
ports Scintillua to 4, and if its in his Scintilla LTS 3 tree he has
no incentive to port it to 4.  And once its made available in Geany it
can't be removed.  Even if technically it can be removed, once people
start using it there will be no going back.

And it makes Geany depend on Lua.

And does it compile Lua in, distros will probably not like that?

And will the Lua plugin still work given it has another copy of Lua.

So I'm against adding it, especially as it is only needed for obscure
languages and personal languages.

Thanks
Lex