[Geany-Devel] Why has the universal ctags project to be merged?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Mar 21 21:42:07 UTC 2018

On 22 March 2018 at 07:17, Lars Paulsen <lars_paulsen at web.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have got a maybe stupid question out of curiosity:
> Why needs the universal ctags project be merged into Geany instead of e.g.
> just copying it over?
> I guess the reason is not that we do not trust their test quality ;-)

Its not really that we don't trust them, its because:

1) we don't use all of their parsers, so some have to be left out

2) we have parsers they don't have, which need to be combined into the
same directory

3) universal ctags is the zombie of the old ubiquitous ctags come back
to life, but during the dead period in between our parsers diverged
from ctags ones, and although some of the changes have been merged
back upstream, some have proved too complex, so changes in their
parsers have to be merged into ours

4) our layout is not the same as ctags, there is a PR for this, but
its a huge blob, and nobody has the several years to check it (needed
no matter how much we trust the OP) and according to the OP it can't
be done incrementally

So it needs human intervention to merge, and:

5) we do like to check even if we trust their quality :)