[Geany-Devel] How are ctags used?

Lars Paulsen lars_paulsen at xxxxx
Mon Mar 19 21:25:03 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have got a question regarding the design of Geany or better say how do
the components work together regarding ctags.

I think I understood that ctags files can contain global tag
definitions, e.g. for external APIs. Lexers are there for the syntax
highlighting. Scintilla is the editor component. But which part parses
the code at the current cursor position during typing to decide when an
existing ctag shall be displayed in a calltip? E.g. the user types
"printf(" and the argument list appears (read from ctags). Where is the
parsing/recognition of the "printf(" done?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Lars