[Geany-Devel] <DKIM> Re: Moving away from Github

Jérôme Andanson j.andanson at xxxxx
Thu Jun 7 05:53:47 UTC 2018

Le 06/06/2018 à 23:26, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 at 00:16, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> On 2018-06-06 01:53 AM, Mark O'Donovan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Regarding https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1870
>>>
>>> What are people's thoughts on transitioning away from GitHub?
>>>
>>> I personally have given GitHub a free pass up to now due to the benefits
>>> they were providing to the FOSS community. Following the Microsoft
>>> buyout I no longer wish to do so and have moved all repositories I
>>> control to GitLab. I am considering closing my GitHub account altogether
>>> and will be considerably more likely to contribute to GitLab projects in
>>> future. In this i'm sure that I am not alone.
>>>
>>> I also think that Geany, as a Free and Open Source Software program,
>>> should be hosted on a FOSS repository management site. The same open
>>> source arguments that we use to promote Geany apply here.
>>>
>> What changes with the new ownership? As I understand it, the website is
>> to remain free for open source projects, is still proprietary software,
>> and is still owned by an (albeit massively larger) for-profit corporation.
> Agree with Matthew, as far as Geany is concerned, nothing changes, a
> company allows us to use their infrastructure, so we do.  It will
> always be on their terms. Same with Sourceforge same with Gitlab.
>
> And to add, Gitlab is also a private company, with terms of use that
> allow it to unilaterally change the terms of use without notification,
> but all users are responsible for monitoring the terms and obeying
> them.  The only difference is that they provide the software
> (including their ability to monitor your use in the binary installs)
> for you to set up your own copy, but Geany does not have the
> infrastructure or manpower to set up and maintain its own site.
Another possibility is to use an instance of gitlab managed by a non
profit organization like framagit[1] by a french association
framasoft[2] just my 2cents ...

Jérôme

[1] https://framagit.org
[2] https://framasoft.org/