[Geany-Devel] Moving away from Github

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jun 6 21:26:08 UTC 2018

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 at 00:16, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 2018-06-06 01:53 AM, Mark O'Donovan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Regarding https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1870
> >
> > What are people's thoughts on transitioning away from GitHub?
> >
> > I personally have given GitHub a free pass up to now due to the benefits
> > they were providing to the FOSS community. Following the Microsoft
> > buyout I no longer wish to do so and have moved all repositories I
> > control to GitLab. I am considering closing my GitHub account altogether
> > and will be considerably more likely to contribute to GitLab projects in
> > future. In this i'm sure that I am not alone.
> >
> > I also think that Geany, as a Free and Open Source Software program,
> > should be hosted on a FOSS repository management site. The same open
> > source arguments that we use to promote Geany apply here.
> >

> What changes with the new ownership? As I understand it, the website is
> to remain free for open source projects, is still proprietary software,
> and is still owned by an (albeit massively larger) for-profit corporation.

Agree with Matthew, as far as Geany is concerned, nothing changes, a
company allows us to use their infrastructure, so we do.  It will
always be on their terms. Same with Sourceforge same with Gitlab.

And to add, Gitlab is also a private company, with terms of use that
allow it to unilaterally change the terms of use without notification,
but all users are responsible for monitoring the terms and obeying
them.  The only difference is that they provide the software
(including their ability to monitor your use in the binary installs)
for you to set up your own copy, but Geany does not have the
infrastructure or manpower to set up and maintain its own site.

> > At the very least I think the gitlab.com/geany project domain should be
> > claimed and mirrored.
> >

> That seems reasonable, as long as the bug tracker and pull requests and
> such can be disabled, and the mirroring can be automated.
>

> by Akronix:
> I can understand to disable the bug tracker, but why do you want to disable pull requests? The objective here I think it's to open the door to the people who want to contribute in gitlab instead of in github

Agree with Matthew, the main Geany contributors are not finding enough
time to handle just Github, they don't want to be interacting with two
different sites, its likely to be a shambles, thats why it should be a
pure mirror.

Regards
Lex