[Geany-Devel] Moving away from Github

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Jun 6 14:16:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-06 01:53 AM, Mark O'Donovan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1870
>
> What are people's thoughts on transitioning away from GitHub?
>
> I personally have given GitHub a free pass up to now due to the benefits
> they were providing to the FOSS community. Following the Microsoft
> buyout I no longer wish to do so and have moved all repositories I
> control to GitLab. I am considering closing my GitHub account altogether
> and will be considerably more likely to contribute to GitLab projects in
> future. In this i'm sure that I am not alone.
>
> I also think that Geany, as a Free and Open Source Software program,
> should be hosted on a FOSS repository management site. The same open
> source arguments that we use to promote Geany apply here.

What changes with the new ownership? As I understand it, the website is
to remain free for open source projects, is still proprietary software,
and is still owned by an (albeit massively larger) for-profit corporation.

> At the very least I think the gitlab.com/geany project domain should be
> claimed and mirrored.

That seems reasonable, as long as the bug tracker and pull requests and
such can be disabled, and the mirroring can be automated.