[Geany-Devel] Building geany on Windows is slow; libgeany

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Fri Jan 26 08:29:20 UTC 2018

Am 25.01.2018 um 18:27 schrieb Colomban Wendling:
> Le 25/01/2018 à 04:38, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> On 25 January 2018 at 22:19, Nick Treleaven <ntrel002 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I hadn't built Geany for a while, I found the MSYS2 build instructions with
>>> autotools. Libtool seems incredibly slow - mainly for linking but even
>>> compiling is slow. I've tried disabling AV to no effect. Are there any
>>> simple workarounds? The modify-rebuild cycle is painful now.
>> Long time no hear.  I can't help with Windows build speeds but can say
>> that the Linux build does not appear to be significantly slower
>> AFAICT.
> No.  By default libtool might build object files twice, one static and
> one shared, just in case it might need both, but I disabled it ages ago
> as we don't need both
> (https://github.com/geany/geany/commit/723f4302e0d7bbd938c789b9730366f7c7e03080).
>   Maybe check if libtool on Windows doesn't enforce something stupid like
> that.
>
> But it might also be that MSYS2 is slow or something, but that Thomas
> might know more about.

 From my experience (it's been some time) shell scripts (i.e. configure)
is horribly slow (disabling AV helps a lot but it's still bad), the
compilation itself shouldn't be significantly slower than on Linux.

Can you compare a against Linux builds and post some numbers? Also, what
kind of system is this?

Best regards