[Geany-Devel] Building geany on Windows is slow; libgeany

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Thu Jan 25 17:27:11 UTC 2018

Le 25/01/2018 à 04:38, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> On 25 January 2018 at 22:19, Nick Treleaven <ntrel002 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I hadn't built Geany for a while, I found the MSYS2 build instructions with
>> autotools. Libtool seems incredibly slow - mainly for linking but even
>> compiling is slow. I've tried disabling AV to no effect. Are there any
>> simple workarounds? The modify-rebuild cycle is painful now.
>
> Long time no hear.  I can't help with Windows build speeds but can say
> that the Linux build does not appear to be significantly slower
> AFAICT.

No.  By default libtool might build object files twice, one static and
one shared, just in case it might need both, but I disabled it ages ago
as we don't need both
(https://github.com/geany/geany/commit/723f4302e0d7bbd938c789b9730366f7c7e03080).
 Maybe check if libtool on Windows doesn't enforce something stupid like
that.

But it might also be that MSYS2 is slow or something, but that Thomas
might know more about.

Regards,
Colomban