[Geany-Devel] Building geany on Windows is slow; libgeany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jan 25 12:38:19 UTC 2018

On 25 January 2018 at 22:19, Nick Treleaven <ntrel002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I hadn't built Geany for a while, I found the MSYS2 build instructions with
> autotools. Libtool seems incredibly slow - mainly for linking but even
> compiling is slow. I've tried disabling AV to no effect. Are there any
> simple workarounds? The modify-rebuild cycle is painful now.

Hi Nick,

Long time no hear.  I can't help with Windows build speeds but can say
that the Linux build does not appear to be significantly slower
AFAICT.

> Also, I'm curious as to why .lo files are built and also interested as to
> any info about libgeany.

The idea behind libgeany is that it is a proper library that plugins
link against and which hides all symbols that are not specifically
exported (IIRC the way Windows always worked).  The .lo files are
object files compiled to be made part of the library.  They are, IIUC,
compiled with differing options to .o files, in particular -fPIC since
libraries may be loaded in different address locations.  I am not sure
why that would be slower to compile though.

It is possible that Geany is now compiled with different optimisations
by default, -O2 I think since that does data flow analysis that
activates a number of important warnings, but as I said the speed on
Linux is not markedly affected.