[Geany-Devel] GTK version policy

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Feb 24 02:53:28 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-23 11:53 AM, Lars Paulsen wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have ported the scope plugin to GTK3.
> During that work I also noticed some deprecation warnings for the
> workbench plugin which I did create not long ago
> and as suggested by the HACKING file I did write it for GTK2.
>
> If I port a plugin to GTK3 should it still support GTK2?
> Should we change the HACKING file regarding the preferred GTK version to
> prevent people from writing new plugins based on GTK2?

Hi,

For the average plugin with minimal dependencies I would recommend to
support both since it's so easy. You can put all of your version
specific stuff into a single compatibility header (and/or re-use
Geany's) so you don't need to litter your code with #ifdef stuff very much.

Most distros, as well as the Windows and MacOS releases are still
shipping the GTK+2 version of Geany/Geany-Plugins and it's the build
system default as well, so if you care about supporting a wide user
base, supporting both versions is a good idea.