[Geany-Devel] GTK version policy

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Feb 23 22:52:57 UTC 2018

On 24 February 2018 at 05:53, Lars Paulsen <lars_paulsen at web.de> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have ported the scope plugin to GTK3.
> During that work I also noticed some deprecation warnings for the workbench
> plugin which I did create not long ago
> and as suggested by the HACKING file I did write it for GTK2.
>
> If I port a plugin to GTK3 should it still support GTK2?

For a plugin its up to you if its your plugin, if its a contribution
to a maintained plugin its the maintainers decision, IMHO its not
worth polluting new plugins with #ifdefs to support both.

As I have been saying for a while, even for existing plugins I would
make the GTK3 one a separate plugin.  Most plugins have little
development happening (except your new one) so it will be rare that
changes have to be applied to both.  With a #ifdefed plugin it takes
effort to build it to support both and again to untangle it when GTK2
goes away, with two plugins you just delete one.  And if people do
start submitting improvements only for the GTK3 version, thats fine,
clearly thats the version that is being used.

> Should we change the HACKING file regarding the preferred GTK version to
> prevent people from writing new plugins based on GTK2?

Personally I vote for that, #1780 for Geany hacking, but the plugins
hacking already only says "recommend" not "must" for supporting both
GTK 2 and GTK 3.