[Geany-Devel] Linker issues with VTE

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Feb 23 03:19:41 UTC 2018

Le 22/02/2018 à 15:09, Lars Paulsen a écrit :
> Then I installed it using apt-get install but Ubuntu only installed a
> version 0.42 which was older than required.

It sounds odd you'd need a version not found in Ubuntu, unless you'd be
using a very old Ubuntu.  And in any case, depending on something too
recent for major distributions to have it has to be a conscious choice:
some users might not have access to your software, or have a harder time
to get it.  Just a thought.

> So I downloaded the sources and built it myself.
> After that the error message about the missing "#include <vte/vte.h>"
> was gone.
>
> But I got linker errors for calls to unresolved external function
> "vte_terminal_set_color_foreground_rgba". I assume this is some geany
> macro stuff. It turned out I can simply call
> "vte_terminal_set_color_foreground" because they changed the parameter
> from "GdkColor" to "GdkRGBA" - just what I needed.

Oooh, right, in Geany we have wrappers to bridge this ABI break so we
don't have to deal with it, so yeah the `_rgba` suffix is just an
internal Geany glitch in vte.c, not any actual API anywhere. Sorry for
the confusion it gave you indeed.

Regards,
Colomban