[Geany-Devel] UTF-8 in geany's termina, eg. ș

marius buzea magnetudinbuda at xxxxx
Sun Oct 22 06:37:45 UTC 2017

Hello Colomban,

I thought I was onto something with there being a need to also call vte_terminal_set_encoding, besides
running Geany with LANG=C.UTF-8 given in the environment.  I have rebuild Geany without the
vte_terminal_set_encoding code, and LANG=C.UTF-8 alone gave the expected representation of 'ș' in
the Terminal.   It results I made a mistake.   Sorry for wasting a little time with this non-issue.
Also thanks for helping with clarifying the utf-8 behavior in Geany's terminal.

Best Regards,
Marius

Here it is my default environment:

$ env | grep -E '^(LC|LANG)'
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8

I start Geany with a Gnu Bash script which exports LANG=C.UTF-8 before running Geany.