[Geany-Devel] geany plugins fails to compile with latest pango

Tim Tassonis stuff at xxxxx
Sat Nov 25 00:35:13 UTC 2017

On 11/25/2017 12:44 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Hey Tim,
>
> Le 24/11/2017 à 13:46, Tim Tassonis a écrit :
>> Pango recently switched from autotools/libtool to meson/ninja and it
>> seems that geany-plugins can't handle that. The compile/install fails on:
>>

>> /bin/sed: can't read /opt/X11/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.la: No such file or
>> directory
>> libtool:   error: '/opt/X11/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.la' is not a valid
>> libtool archive
>>
>> Those files are not installed anymore with latest pango. Is there a fix
>> or is pango with meson/ninja not supported?
>
> I don't think .la files are required by autotools/libtool.  For example
> I don't have those on my Debian system for any packaged library (Debian
> is not shipping .la files for a long time now), and I don't have any
> problem.  Maybe you did configure geany-plugins at a time the .la file
> existed, and somehow it then expects to find it?  You should try and
> re-generating the build system, ideally from a clean clone, but maybe
> simply `make distclean` and then `./autogen.sh` again.  If that's not
> it, are you 100% sure *no* files in your pango installation is referring
> the .la, possibly an outdated one from before their switch that would
> still lie somewhere?

Ok, I searched a bit and it seems that the problem lies with other
packages that installed .la files that still referred to the pango .la
files. As I have always packaged then in my devel packages, this problem
might gonna happed with other packages that link against pango and use
libtool.

Cheers
Tim