[Geany-Devel] CodeAi Fixes a Null Pointer Dereference

Benjamin Bales benjamin.bales at xxxxx
Thu May 11 19:40:51 UTC 2017

Lex and Matthew,

You seem to disagree on this issue.  Is this a valid issue?  And if so, do
you like the fix?  I can batch a few of them (<= 10) as a single PR.  No
problem.

-Ben

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 2017-05-10 04:09 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>
>> On 11 May 2017 at 08:10, Benjamin Bales <benjamin.bales at qbitlogic.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> CodeAi (https://github.com/C0deAi), an automated repair tool developed at
>>> QbitLogic (www.qbitlogic.com), suggested the following fix. Could I
>>> submit it as a patch if it looks alright?
>>>
>>> plugins/saveactions.c: “doc->file_type” pointer might be dereferenced
>>> when
>>> null on line 283.  Initialization may be provided by “doc” passed in as a
>>> function argument, but a null check would be prudent just in case. The
>>> fix
>>> checks “doc->file_type” for null before allowing a dereference on the
>>> following line.  A snapshot of the bug report generated by CodeAi is
>>> attached.  A full report is available upon request.
>>>

>> This function is called (via the signal framework) by the function that
>> created `doc` and as such cannot be null.  The design of the application
>> uses the signal framework to decouple caller and callee and this is likely
>> to confuse your tool since it cannot see where functions are called.
>> Whilst any contributions are welcome, a report with a lot of similar false
>> positives may end up being ignored and be a bad advertisement for your
>> tool.
>>

> Naw, I think it's technically a real bug, albeit very minor. It's the
> `file_type` member of the `doc` that can be NULL. IIUC tools like this look
> to see if you checked the NULL-ness of something and then proceed to
> dereference it outside of that check later, which this code does (checks if
> `ft == NULL` several lines up and then unconditionally dereferences it on
> the line given by the OP).
>
> Regards,
> Matthew Brush

Benjamin Bales
Chief Technology Officer
[image: QbitLogic]
1050 Crown Pointe Pkwy, Ste. 840
Atlanta, GA 30338
470-554-2690

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are
addressed.  This communication may contain privileged attorney material or
other Property and Confidential matter.  If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail for the
intended person, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and
that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you believe you have received this
e-mail in error, please immediately delete this e-mail and notify Benjamin
Bales by telephoning 470-554-2690.